Land Rover / Santana

From Willys Jeep to Land Rover

 

Maurice Wilks was technical director of Rover in 1947. On his farm he used a Willy Jeep, a legacy from the US armed forces. Wilks was convinced of the usefulness of the jeep, so he had the idea of building an all-terrain vehicle for agriculture at Rover and thus get the company out of the crisis. The prototype was built on a Jeep chassis in just a few weeks in the spring of 1947; the designation "Land-Rover" (an agricultural rover) was used from the beginning and then retained. The body panels were made of stainless duralumin because the British arms industry had exhausted all its reserves of iron and steel. In 1947, the Rover board gave the green light to a small series of Land Rovers.

 

Land Rover / Santana

Fundada en 1955 bajo el nombre de Metalúrgica de Santa Ana en Linares, provincia de Jaén en España para la construcción de maquinaria agrícola, la fábrica se transformó en 1956 en fabricante de licencia de la segunda Serie Land Rover. El Santana fue el único Land Rover bajo licencia que se fabricó sin el suministro de piezas de la fábrica principal. La razón de esto fue que durante la época de Franco, los altos aranceles aduaneros y las cuotas de importación hacían casi imposible importar automóviles nuevos y repuestos extranjeros. En 1983 terminó la colaboración con Land Rover.


Landrover Series II Forward Control, 1962 - 1971, 1965